This page lists selected Inforum, UTL, and other resources that will help researchers in the information and museum fields to effectively find books and articles in the University of Toronto Libraries system. It also includes resources on academic writing skills, citing sources, working in groups, and other study and research activities.
Browse the following categories of information to find what you need.
- Finding books, journals & articles
- Resource lists & LibGuides
- Research impact measures
- Scholarly communication & copyright advice
- Academic writing help
- Group work
- Open access resources
- Using the U of T library catalogue to find books & articles | Inforum guide, 14 p. PDF | Online videos (4)
- Subject discovery in library catalogues | iSkills guide, 11 p. PDF
- Finding articles in LIS & ARM | iSkills guide, 15 p. PDF
Includes search strategies useful in any concentration/subject area
- Finding articles in Museum Studies | Inforum guide, 14 p. PDF
- KMD1001 resource list | Course guide, 6 p. PDF
- Deconstructing databases: Becoming a better (re)searcher | iSkills guide, 18 p. PDF
- Subjects A-Z: Use these UTL listings to help you find resources (databases, etc.) in specific subject areas, e.g. Museum Studies, e.g. LIS, etc.
Resource lists & LibGuides
Conducting research: A selection of Inforum resources | Resource list
A comprehensive listing of Inforum holdings on research methodologies, organized into categories such as: Quantitative Research; Qualitative Research; Statistics, Focus Groups, etc. Links to catalogue records included.
Museum Studies journals: A selection of Inforum holdings | Resource list, PDF
A selective annotated listing of museum studies journals, both print and electronic. Includes links to catalogue records for print journals, and to electronic formats.
Critical Information Policy Studies | LibGuide
Recommended databases in CIPS subject areas and search tips; current news and issues links; organizations and other web resources; journal literature
Library & Information Science (LIS) literature, publishing, & communication | LibGuide
Intro to different types of both scholarly and professional LIS literatures; overview of LIS publishing landscape, covering selected LIS publishers; scholarly and professional communication venues for practicing librarians in any area; brief explanation of journal rankings and the journal impact factor.
Searching the literature: A guide to comprehensive searching the health sciences | LibGuide
Extensive guide from Gerstein librarians, with video tutorials for MedLine searching, and much, much more
Healthy computing resources | Resource list
A Inforum bibliography of websites, books, and articles about how to avoid repetitive strain injuries, which are an occupational hazard of information professionals. Includes links to healthy ergonomic workstation set-up, and tips on how to use laptops while minimizing risk.
LibGuide collection at U of T Libraries | Link
Hundreds of guides in all subject areas compiled by UTL librarians
Library FAQs | Link
Extensive searchable list of questions & answers from Robarts and other central libraries, with topics ranging from facilities to research help
- Cite it in APA style | iSkills guide, 24 p. PDF
- Citation with Zotero | iSkills guide, 2 p. PDF
- Citing sources | UTL Libguide
- Citation management software | UTL LibGuide
Includes a very helpful comparison chart re: different citation softwares.
- Plagiarism | UTL Libguide
- Citation guides from the Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University | Link
Research impact measures
- Research impact measurements | Link to UTL info
Explanation of impacts and measurement tools, e.g. Impact Factor, H-index, altmetrics
- CARL guide on altmetrics | Link
Written by UTL librarians for the Canadian Association of Research Libraries
- Guide to research impacts | UTL LibGuide
Scholarly communication & copyright advice
- Scholarly communication & copyright office (SCCO) | Link to UTL info
Advice on issues such as fulfilling the TriAgency Open Access Policy, do's and don'ts re: course material and copyright, authors' publishing rights.
- Tspace | Link
- U of T's scholarly repository, complete with excellent help guides to help you upload your material.
Academic writing help
- Writing clearly & concisely | Inforum video
- Writing a thesis statement | Inforum video
- Graduate Centre for Academic Communication (GCAC) formerly known as the English Language Writing Support (ELWS) at the School of Graduate Studies, U of T | Link
- Writing Advice from U of T | Link
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University's list of topics | Link
- Working in groups: A note to faculty and a quick guide for students | Guide
Excellent resource from the Bok Center at Harvard University, with tips and strategies for forming productive groups, and suggestions for overcoming group difficulties and dynamics
- Manage group work | iSkills guide, PDF
JournalTOCs: Scholarly journal tables-of-contents | Inforum tipsheet, PDF
Free web service of scholarly journals' tables-of-contents; Pick journals to follow; Get email TOC notifications when new issues are published, with links to UTL fulltext
BrowZine: UTL app | Link
An app that allows you to browse, read, share, and save online journals directly to your tablet or smartphone. U of T students, faculty, and staff can access many UTL licensed online journals via BrowZine
Open access resources
- Open Access Directory | Link
- Directory of Open Access Journals | Link
- Directory of Open Access Books | Link
- OpenDOAR: A Directory of Open Access Repositories | Link
Excellent resource for finding scholarly material using a customized Google search of most university repositories world-wide
- Knowledge Unlatched | Link Books can be viewed on the OAPEN website